1.22.2013

You would look better if...

I read this article back when it first came out on yahoo and I had to laugh because I could relate to it so well.
We've all been there; where some well-wisher tells you how you would look/sound/be/exist better if you just followed their advice, because obviously they know better!

It got me to thinking; how often are we that person? And what are some of the most frustrating things people tell us?

I think one of the biggest problems in today's society is that we are so striving for greatest every single moment of our life we forget to appreciate the achievements we've made. Oh we're so busy trying to "encourage" and push others to be better that we overwhelm them and they give up.  Sometimes, the only thing we really need is just a pat on the back and a "job well done."  Then, when we've taken a breather, we can keep climbing.  You can't hike and entire mountain without take a break every once in a while and those who can I'm fairly certain are not human.

The flip side of this, is that we begin to resent the people who are really trying to be as encouraging as possible and they don't even realize that they are in actuality, bringing you down.

For the remainder of this month, I'm going to dedicate myself to believing the absolute best about people when they try to tell me something needs to be different or improved and I'm going to do my best to try and not overwhelm people with my own words of encouragement.  If we make a point of assuming innocence, it changes the outcome of so many things!

So yeah, there is my soapbox moment.

Here, I took a picture of my ducky collection and over saturated it with fun effects for you:





No comments:

Post a Comment