11.02.2012

Friday Feature Fun!

Time for our Friday Feature!

Stephanie is awesome, I have never had the pleasure of meeting her in person, but I've looked on her site at her styles, and her general attitude has always been fun and pleasant and whenever I've bugged her about a hairstyle I'm curious about, she has always been kind and taken time out of her busy schedule to talk with me.  Also, I'm insanely jealous of her hair.  Enjoy! 


Name: Stephanie

Hair character/type: 2c or 3a/M/iii (note: loose curls, medium thickness strands, and a ton of it)


Natural hair color: Same as it is now, kind of indeterminate.  Brownish blonde?


Starting length (if growing): About 22” way back in the day


Current length:  58”


Are you currently growing your length or maintaining?  If growing, how long have you been growing your hair?  If maintaining, what is it about your current length that makes you happy?:  I started growing my hair out about 11 years ago, but for four years during college I mostly just maintained it.  My hair is definitely still growing (albeit slowly), but I’m not actively trying to grow it out anymore.  I’m considering cutting 10 inches or so off in a few months since it’s getting a bit much to manage, and classic length was my favorite.  I enjoy being able to do really extreme styles with this length, but classic was best for certain updos and was less annoying to wear down.


As a fellow hairaholic I find it very interesting to hear what exactly about hair it is that others find fascinating.  What started your interest/obsession with hair?: When I was 13, I saw Star Wars for the first time and was fascinated by Leia’s hair.  I thought, “Hey, I can do that.”  I think long hair is beautiful, I love how it feels, and I enjoy being able to do different things with it.  I also enjoy having long hair for one of the same reasons that I enjoy archery; both make me feel a little bit like a time-traveller, participating in something that is thousands of years old.  Long hair has a timeless, classic quality to it, andI enjoy history (particularly medieval times) very much.  Having long hair gives me a sense of kinship with another age.

As with any hobby, there is always something that irks us just a little bit. What are some of your frustrations/pet peeves as a person with a hair hobby, be your hair long or short? (i.e. nasty comments, getting stuck in doors, hard to take care of, styling, etc.etc.):  Long hair does get in the way if it’s down, there just isn't a way around it.  I’ve caught it on other people, doors, seat belts, you name it.  Probably the most irksome thing, though, is that people tend to treat long hair like public property.  I don’t mind if someone wants to talk about it, or even if they ask nicely if they can touch it, but I do NOT enjoy it when strangers walk up and just start playing with my hair.  I like my personal space!

If money, damage, social stigma, etc. where not a factor, what is the one thing you would love to to try out?:  I haven’t had straight hair since I was 12, so that would be nice to try, and it would be fun to dye it just for a day.  In general, though, I’m pretty content with my current state.


What do you love about your hair: Pretty much everything!  I like that it’s very thick and curly.


What do you hate about your hair:  I don’t really hate anything about it, but I guess it would be nice if the color made up its mind on whether it’s brown or blonde.


What’s something you like to do as a “treat” to your hair?: Can’t say that I really do anything special for it.


What are your favorite products?/What are you currently using?:  I use whatever shampoo and conditioner are on sale, for the most part.  I do like Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic Styling Gel (http://www.sallybeauty.com/allergenic-gel/SBS-623476,default,pd.html); several of my friends have severe allergies, so I make sure to use this if I’m going to be spending time with them.  Money is always an issue for me, so I don’t buy any expensive products.


What’s your hair care routine? (In a nutshell; I know most of us have pretty extensive hair care regimes): Mine is very simple.  I wash it every other night (sometimes every third night) with whatever’s in the shower.  I do use a LOT of conditioner.  Since my hair is so curly, I only detangle it in the shower, using a wide-toothed bone comb (http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php), which is actually made out of resin despite the name.  The combs don’t have the rough seam that plastic combs do, so it doesn’t catch or tear the hair.  I let my hair dry overnight by draping off the end of the bed.

Many of us have one thing that we will never, ever do to our hair no matter what (i.e., bleach, curl, straighten, color) what is that one thing for you?: All of the above, honestly.  I’m a big fan of benign neglect: if I leave my hair alone, it behaves itself.


If you have a favorite hairstyle, what is it?:  Hard to choose, since I do so many!  I love braids of all kinds.  My go-to style for when I don’t want to spend time on my hair is a single braid, and it’ll hold up to just about anything.  I love experimenting with movie hairstyles, though I haven’t had the time for anything too elaborate lately.
                                                                                                                         

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received regarding taking care of hair?:  Don’t mess with it!  People feel like they have to be constantly altering their hair’s curl/straightness, color, style, etc., and all of that causes damage.  


Links to your blog/youtube/website: 
My website (pretty much never updated anymore, sadly) is: http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com, and my blog (not hair-related) is: http://quoththegirl.wordpress.com.




Thank you again, Stephanie for your time and for sharing a little bit about yourself!  More to come on awesome people later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment