10.05.2012

First Friday Feature Fun! #1

Alrighty, here it is: Feature Friday! Our first reader is miss Sarah, I hope you enjoy! 

Name: Sarah (ibraidhair.wordpress.com)

Hair character/type:
natural curly, medium/coarse texture, medium-thick, dry, prone to split

Natural hair color: dark brown with reddish highlights

Starting length (if growing): hmmm.... It hasn't been above my shoulders since I was a
toddler.  When I started growing with purpose, it was 28" I believe (a couple inches above my waist).
                                                                                                 

Current length:  about 4
0"

Are you currently growing your length or maintaining?  If growing, how long have you been growing your hair?  If maintaining, what is it about your current length that makes you happy?: Kind of both. My hair is so prone to breakage that I have to work pretty hard just to maintain this
length. If I gain a little in the process, I'm happy.  I've always liked hip-length hair on other women and thought it was the most attractive length.

As a fellow hairaholic I find it very interesting to hear what exactly about hair it is that others find fascinating.  What started your interest/obsession with hair?:
My parents both wanted my hair long when I was growing up (my mom has long hair also). My favorite dolls were always the ones with hair I could style. It's been a life-long thing for me. I became obsessed with my own hair when I was 20 years old. I was desperate for new styling ideas and began searching the internet. I came across a website dedicated to long-haired women, with a forum full of amazing people (some with floor-length hair!) who had a wealth of knowledge. I haven't been the same since. :)

As with any hobby, there is always something that irks us just a little bit. What are some of your frustrations/pet peeves as a person with a hair hobby, be your hair long or short? (i.e. nasty comments, getting stuck in doors, hard to take care of, styling, etc.etc.):
Because I have a hair hobby, I get asked a lot of questions from people wanting advice on hair care, styling, etc. It really irritates me when people ask my advice over and over and over, and never actually do anything I recommend.

If money, damage, social stigma, etc. where not a factor, what is the one thing you would love to to try out?: Coloring my hair bright
fiery red.

What do you love about your hair: the color, the length, and the curls... I really just
 have learned to love my hair the way it is.





What do you hate about your hair:
I have a love/hate relationship with my curls. I really do love my curls and I would be devastated if they suddenly started going away! But at the same time, I can't help getting frustrated because it makes it so much harder to style my hair and keep it healthy. Also, it makes my hair very unpredictable.

What’s something you like to do as a “treat” to your hair?: deep conditioning tre
atment with avocado

What are your favorite products?:
My favorite is probably raw shea butter, it's super conditioning for my extremely dry ends. (and I don't have to worry about anyone changing the formulation! lol)

What are you currently using?: Yes to Carrots Shampoo, Yes to Cucumbers Conditioner, Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, TRESemme Curl Locking Spray, Giovani Styling Gel, raw shea butter

What’s your hair care routine? (In a nutshell; I know most of us have pretty extensive hair care regimes): 

My basic routine is this:
-I shampoo about once a week with sulfate-free shampoo, then follow with silicone-free conditioner. I CO wash every time I take a shower.
-I clip my hair up and leave conditioner in during the whole shower, then detangle with a wide tooth comb as I rinse it out at the end of the shower.
-I scrunch raw shea butter into the ends, then "plop" with a t-shirt for 15 minutes or so, then air dry.
-When my hair is mostly dry, I smooth on aloe vera gel (or styling gel) and scrunch with the t-shirt. Sometimes I spray a light coat of hairspray on after it's dry.
-To refresh my curls, I use a little lime juice in water and spray my hair to dampen it and smooth out the frizz, then apply more aloe gel.


Many of us have one thing that we will never, ever do to our hair no matter what (i.e., bleach, curl, straighten, color) what is that one thing for you?: bleach

If you have a favorite hairstyle, what is it?: It would proba
bly be a low side bun.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received regarding taking care of hair?: Throw away
the brush.




No comments:

Post a Comment