8.15.2012

There is hope for humanity Day 6: Soul Pancake

Okay, I will admit, I am a little hesitant to write about this particular website, but I think that it definitely has its merits so here goes:

Soul Pancake was created by Rainn Wilson - that's right, Dwight Schrute.  The website boasts, "Our brain batter of artculturesciencephilosophyspirituality and humoris designed to open your mind, challenge your friends, and feel good."

So it doesn't seem too bad at first you think, but if you're like me in any capacity, when you see the words "spirituality" and "Open your mind" you usually end up slowing the pace a little bit and treading a little more carefully.  I absolutely encourage that with this site.  For the most part, this really is a website that is meant to challenge your "humanity" so to speak in that it wants to help you find ways to be a better person and to do fun and creative things. The activities section of the site is by far my favorite because what they ask you to do really makes you think about the simple things in life.  The most recent post, for example, is: Soul Scribe - describe your soul in 10 words or less.  I really like that.  I think it gives us a chance to really connect with people in a way that you can't on Facebook or Twitter.

The downside: as a Conservative Christian, I find more and more that my views are simply not tolerated.  Especially in a world where tolerance is the in "Thing", so when you adhere to a belief system that is unyielding in the faith of a Divine Creator, Messiah, One way to Heaven, it's not popular.  So far, however, when these spiritual and theological questions are asked and people, such as myself, of which there are few, answer, the response is generally not hostile.  Some people disagree, but they respect your faith as long as you respect theirs in the sense that we both know (or rather they think they know) that our faith is the one true faith, but we aren't going to attack each other as humans.

It's difficult to describe.  My advice would be if you are going to take a look at this site, look at the activities first.  And also understand that the main Conversations are started by Soul Pancake Staff and for the most part what they are trying to do is get as many different answers as possible, not post a place for people to attack each other.  I can't vouch for the other members of the site, however.

In the end, I do wish there was a more Judeo-Christian influence and that more questions geared towards people of a traditional background were addressed, but I also find that this site has a lot to offer and you might be surprised at how many people are interested in your questions and comments.  I've never been attacked by a poster even if I disagreed with them, and I've never attacked another poster.  Everyone here, so far, has been trying to keep the site as a place for thinking and discussion.

Tread carefully, but do take a look and decide for yourself.  And who knows?  The more view points we can get on the site the more information Soul Pancake will have to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment